Frequently Asked Questions

Why does RatX® kill rats & mice - without harming humans and other animals?

Because all rodents have a unique digestive system that is different from other animals. The way rodents absorb water through their lower gut is quite different than any other animals, including humans and birds.

How much RatX® does it take to kill rats or mice?

Between 40 - 60 grams per rat and 10 - 15 grams per mouse. To encourage consumption, other sources of food should be cleared away. Be aware that RatX® cannot work as effectively if the rats have access to other food sources.

What would happen if my cat or dog ate a mouse or rat killed by RatX®?

Nothing. RatX® contains no poison, so there is no risk of secondary poisoning. Cats and dogs are perfectly safe as are horses, poultry and other farm livestock. It is the same for birds of prey (hawks, eagles) that eat a rodent that has ingested RatX® or MouseX®.

What is RatX® made of?

RatX® is made of corn, gluten meal, and sodium chloride.

How does RatX® work?

RatX® coats the lining of a part of the rodent’s lower gut. This coating of the “fine hairs” in the lower gut, called villi, disrupts the messaging system to the rodents brain, causing it to stop drinking water. This leads to dehydration, blood thickening, kidney dysfunction, coma and eventual death. It also leads to a prcoess called "mummification", which means the body of the diseased rodent will dry out, rather than decompose normally. This means a 95% reduction in smell.

Why don't I always see the rat or mouse's body after death?

When the rodent ingests the bait they become very lethargic and return to their home (burrow, nest or hole). The rodent then dies in it's sleep inside it's home. Immediately upon death the accelerated dehydration process starts. This process "mummifies" the deceased rodent, reducing the decomposition odor up to 95%.

How long does RatX® take to kill a rat or mouse?

When used correctly death will occur within 3 - 5 days of regular feeding. More rodents may be seen during this period as they become lethargic and slower to react to disturbance.

Is RatX® harmful to wildlife?

No, RatX® is safe for use around all wildlife. RatX® is also safe for use around birds of prey as there is no risk of secondary kill. A hawk, eagle, or other raptor that eats a rodent who has ingested RatX® will not be harmed.

Will RatX® work on other rodents?

RatX® only works on rats and mice because of their unique digestive systems.

Is RatX® safe to use indoors?

RatX® is safe to be used to control rats and mice both indoors and outdoors.

What happens if another animal eats the rat after the rat ingests RatX®?

Nothing, there is no chance of accidental secondary kill.